Sunday, May 27, 2007

The Workout Girls

Several years ago, I started a little workout group. When the husband realized I was serious, he and my son converted a small room in our basement into a workout room. We have a ballet bar, lots of free weights, bands, a weight bench and other equipment. We have a friend who is also our personal trainer. We make her nuts.

The mother-in-law refers to this group as my coffee klatch. She's partially correct. We do work out regularly but we're much more interested in what's going on in each other's lives, discussing the news and finding any excuse not to work out. We just want the workout part to be over so we can drink coffee and chat.

Even with our constant avoidance, we're all stronger physically and mentally for it. Our trainer occasionally has to become a Nazi with us but she whips us back into the program.

I need cardio and strength. I need to take care of my bones. Most of all, I need my workout girls.

3 comments:

Abby Marmion said...

Hello. I am "the trainer". Yes, I occasionally have to be harsh, but you have all come a long way in the many years we have trained together. More importantly, this group is filled with the women who are most important to me and have become my absolute best friends in the universe.

Trainer

Pam Summers Lee said...

I am one of the sweating workout girls. Yes, "the trainer occasionally has to be harsh but she is quite understanding if we just don't feel like using the energy or sweating. We have the best of both worlds.....getting fit and/or having a nice chat with coffee and friends. Oh, and by the way, the feeling is mutual to all of you!

BS said...

Today I showed up at workout with a bit of a monster face....the result of chemical removal of sun damaged cells. Of course, I wore no make-up so my workout girlfriends could get the full impact of my painful process (the rest of the world sees the watered down, make-up covered version.) I just wanted to hear what they had to say. After a few gasps, "oh my Gods" and "come closer so we can get a better look", they said "let's workout." The trainer said I didn't have to, so I didn't. I just sat and drank coffee and chatted. My workout girls are the unconditional best.