Thursday, May 3, 2007

Friends in High Places

I have always known that I am blessed. I grew up surrounded in love. I've made more than my share of mistakes and I've always had people in my corner. The husband and the children are supportive, even when they're rolling their eyes at my many quirks. My parents provide goodies and gifts. They have turned themselves inside out to help whenever they can. My girlfriends are there (every day!) for advice and counsel about every aspect of life. Many of my girlfriends are also living with the quandaries associated with elder parent care.

Living with the oldies has added a new dimension to friendship. Our doctor, who is also a personal friend, now regularly stops by to check on them. One of our attorneys, who is also a personal friend and neighbor, often provides referrals and advice. I could go on ... judges, dentists, more attorneys, accountants ... they are all so willing to jump in and help. (The husband hangs with some pretty good company.)

I never want to take advantage of these friends. Yet, it doesn't stop me from picking up the phone.

No comments: