Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Foot in Mouth Disease

I have a big mouth. Somehow, my brain is short-circuited and things come out of me that haven't yet been edited by my brain cells. I am opinionated.

The oldies are southern and genteel. Not me! I am kind and generous but I could probably out-curse a sailor when I'm angry. (I never do this to the oldies, only the husband.)

Lately, I've been suggesting things the father-in-law might do. This is a man who was shot down as a pilot in WWII. He went on to become a successful engineer. I've suggested volunteering for businesses that might use his expertise. I've suggested writing (or creating audio tapes) for each of the grandchildren to get a feel for his life. Now, I've been shot down.

Apparently, I'm annoying. He doesn't want to do any more than wait for his wife to fry something up. Eat it. Fall asleep in a chair or their bedroom. Repeat. Repeat. I've been asked to stop proposing these ideas. I offered to get books on tape. No, thank you.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if they had something to look forward to beyond going to the doctor or going to the warehouse store? As the mother-in-law explained to me, her job is to take care of him. She would love to play cards, visit people, etc. but she can't because she's tethered to him. She thinks our lifestyle of doing things together and separately is wrong.

She loves to tell the story of packing up four young boys, a picnic basket, candles, etc. and showing up at her husband's office. To quote, "That's the only way the boys could have dinner with their daddy." In my mind, that's sort of sick and manipulative. My husband would kick me out of there so fast that I would be air born. If he's working, let him work. Isn't that why he's still there?

No comments: