Friday, September 7, 2007

Garage Doors

My home is old. The automtic garage door contraption is a constant pain. Even though we replaced the entire unit a few years ago, it still gets out of whack. The oldies hit it with a walker or a cane. The dog bumps it. If you touch it while taking trash cans to the curb, it is no longer aligned.

Some very crafty person designed this system so the company could come out and fix it in a nanosecond, while charging $70 for a service call.

Garage door problems make me laugh because I remember my favorite story of all time.

J and I went out. They had a gravel driveway with a cement bumper in front of the garage. The rule was, let the tires hit the cement so you're far enough forward to let someone park behind you. So, we did. We pulled through the gravel, felt the bump of the cement and went to bed.

The next morning, her mother came in and asked, "Is there something you'd like to tell me?" Bleary and sleepy eyed, we looked at each other and tried to be telepathic. What did we do? We were sort of pleading with each other to save one another. It didn't work.

Finally, we went downstairs. Yes, we felt the bump because we (J) put the car through the garage door. In her defense, I was clueless.

No comments: