Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Losing Friends

We lost a friend this week. He fought a tough battle and I tell myself that he is in a better place. Yet, I had a very candid conversation (one-sided) with God and I expressed my anger. Our friend was 53.

The oldies are 84. I wish them nothing but health and a wonderful quality of life. Yet, why did this man get 31 fewer years? He will never see his children marry. He will never know his grandchildren.

The husband and I have lost friends to everything imaginable: cancer and leukemia, heart attacks, old age, car accidents, plane crashes, and more. We've watched friends bury children, which is almost more than I can take.

I had an interesting dream last night and I choose to believe it was God speaking to me. The message was: Maybe the reason you seem to lose so many friends is because you are blessed with many friends. It wasn't a tap on the shoulder; it was a baseball bat to the head.

I woke up in a cold sweat. If possible, I will hug and say "I love you" more often than ever.

Rest in Peace, Billy Baker. I will always remember your amazing smile.

2 comments:

cecily crossman said...

I'm so sorry you lost your friend, Billy Baker. But you're right. Loving so many people is a blessing - but also painful.

Is it worth it?

Anonymous said...

Having attended the funeral for Billy Baker, I can safely say there was no one more loved than he. The church was overflowing. I have known Billy for 40 years and although we have not been close in recent years, he has always been one of my favorite people. He exuded grace and kindness, humor and love. The underlying theme was "Live well, laugh often, love much" and he did. My tribute to Bill is to try to be a kinder, more loving person.

Signed,

Your friend who hasn't been so kind and loving of late, I love you.