Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Herring in REAL Sour Cream

One of the last things the mother-in-law said to me before they left on their big adventure was, "I know you'll go through and throw things away."

You betcha!

I tackled the refrigerators yesterday. I threw away half sandwiches, carry-out Chinese food, leftover casseroles and soup, Head Cheese, and my personal favorite: Herring in REAL sour cream. (No, I did not throw up on the kitchen floor but I wanted to.)

The husband hates leftovers unless it's something with a shelf life, like chili or a really good soup. I give leftovers a 24-hour window. If we didn't eat it for dinner, it might become my lunch the next day. After that, it's out of here.

The oldies must have some secret stock in aluminum foil and plastic wrap. They will save 1/2 a slice of bread with 2 spoonfuls of a casserole. No one ever eats it. But we spend the time and the resources to wrap it up.

Next, I'm on to the pantry.

4 comments:

cecily crossman said...

I like herring in sour cream! But, like you, don't want any long time leftovers. I never bring anything home from a restaurant.

Anonymous said...

Sher, can you come to my house some time while I am gone? I cleaned my fridge and I found: cheese with green mold; a bag-o wet lettuce with slime; sour milk; and something sticky in the bottom drawer.

I don't do this on purpose!

janis said...

gross! I won't eat for a week.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if this comes form growing up during the Depression? I have known other people like this. Sometimes I cannot bring myself to throw things away because of guilt. When I finally do I think "What was that about?" (Saving something like that)