Saturday, September 29, 2007

Gift Cards

I used to be kind of a snob about gift cards. In my mind, it meant that I wasn't willing to take the time and thought to buy a personal gift. I have been converted.

There is not a person in my world who needs another posession. They certainly don't need me picking out a knick knack for them to stash and probably sell later on eBay. Yes, my parents have been giving me a book store gift card for years. It's my favorite! I have a book fetish and I want to pick them out myself. I have a Target problem and it's oh so fun to have a gift card and get to discover the treasures for myself. Maybe I want shoes or maybe I just want to stock up on toilet paper.

The oldies love the warehouse stores. They also love the bakery around the corner. For his upcoming birthday, I may get a gift card and he can fall into the beloved sugar coma.

Last Christmas, the daughter gave me a gift card for a massage. It was truly one of the best gifts I've received in years.

It's really fun when you stumble on something that's a perfect fit for a person in your life. It's not fun when you're racking your brain and scrambling for a gift when they would probably prefer to pick something out themselves.

I know it's crass that everyone knows what you spent. I've moved on. Unless something jumps out at me, I'm declaring the upcoming holiday season, "The Year of the Gift Card."

Ten dollars goes a long way in that $1 section at Target.

3 comments:

Sandy said...

I'm glad you finally converted. I have been a fan of gift cards for years. I don't like surprises, so the gift card eliminates that problem. Of course, you knoow, if it were left up to me, we would have no gift exchange at Christmas......too, too stressful for me.

cecily crossman said...

I'm with mom. All this gift giving to "rich" people, to me, is silly. But my friends and family don't feel that way.

People can always TAKE ME OUT TO EAT.

But I, too, don't like surprises!

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog through Google while doing some research on gift cards.

Gift cards are wildly popular, and I agree they can be impersonal. Just wanted to point out that you can now buy some fun packaging to make the gift card feel like you put more thought into it.

A company called Seastone (www.Seastone.com) makes packaging that you'll see this season in stores like Home Depot, Staples, and even Wal-Mart.

Who knows, maybe you know someone who loves Home Depot, and you can put it in a cute little package suited just for them to make it more thoughtful!