Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes

When the husband and I were dating, he made it very clear to me that he was not interested in a meatloaf and mashed potato life. He loves thinking of himself as Peter Pan and it's a pretty good analogy.

So, I went into this marriage, this life, with full warning.

At first, I tried to be more of a traditional wife. (There were young children involved.) But lots of evenings, I ended up throwing food out or trying to save it for another day because he had last minute plans for us. Or, he just wanted to go out.

I sneak in my traditions. I certainly do my fair share of cooking but I have finally learned to relish the fact that it is not expected. We're both ok with grabbing something from the pantry, making a quick salad, etc. Sometimes we just forget about dinner. Neither one of us is going to starve to death by missing a meal.

Enter the oldies. (One year, ten months ago.) They just don't get us. They don't get it that we REFUSE to discuss what's on the menu for dinner 24 hours before hand. We don't know. We don't care.

There's a little battle going on right now. Big Daddy was out of town last week and then we were both gone for the weekend. Now everyone is home but they're making it a point to avoid him. When I asked them this evening what their plans were, she said, "I guess we'll go find something to eat." This is from a woman who has stocked my pantry and refrigerator to the limits. The husband and I were sitting on the patio when they returned. He went in to invite them to join us. No thank you very much. The bedroom is calling. (My words -- not theirs.)

I enjoy cooking and I certainly don't mind sharing a family meal with them. But I get a little perplexed when they're all guilt-tripping and/or avoiding each other. Mainly, I just try to stay out of the way.

Eventually I will jump in and try to make peace. I'll make meat loaf and mashed potatoes.

1 comment:

Sandy said...

Why do I feel like I should send over some meatloaf and mashed potatoes?

Love,
Mom