Friday, September 28, 2007

Locking Myself In

I'm pretty good about locking myself in my office when I need to think. I'll even lock myself in the bedroom for some quiet time. I'm the one who makes the rounds at night to make sure all doors are locked. But, I've always been pretty lax about unlocked doors during the day. I go in and out. The dog goes in and out. Plus, there is almost always someone here.

After numerous comments/lectures from my father and houseboy, I have changed this habit. I lock every door. And once again, I'm in trouble.

The husband comes in through the door from the garage to the back hallway. I have no idea why carrying a key is beyond him. I have no idea why a locked door seems to be a personal affront. He doesn't understand why that particular door needs to be locked. In his mind, if the garage door is down, that door should remain unlocked.

A few days ago, I explained that I lock it because I am home alone. To which he replied, "No, you're not. The oldies are here." (Yeah, that makes me feel safe.) They are so used to traffic in and out of this house. If a random burglar (or worse) came in, they probably wouldn't wake up. If they did, they would assume it was someone I know and I've given permission to remove all of our worldly goods.

There are two ironies:
1. I lock every door before I go to bed. When the oldies are here, she roams at night, goes outside to smoke, etc. I wake up almost every morning to find two doors unlocked.

2. My mother works nights so my father does the lock-up routine in their house. He repeatedly locks her out of their bedroom. It makes her crazy.
The oldies are on their trip. I am occasionally (blessedly) alone. The door in debate is locked.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep locking your doors. There are alot of wacky people out there. They will come in even if every one is at home. You might think about some kind of personal protection.

Anonymous said...

I am a lock freak. Everything is locked when I am home and the burglar alarm is on at night. I have set it off numerous times when taking the dog out -- forgetting that it's on.