Sunday, July 27, 2008

Baby Oil, Iodine, Tin Foil and More

I come from a long line of tanning people. My grandfather seriously resembled Uncle Remus. We have a skin tone that tans easily. My mother and my aunts used to slather ourselves and lie in the sun for hours. For the record, they don't do this any more.

The other day I went to the pool for a bit and then headed over to the golf course to watch the husband compete in a shoot-out. (I was hoping the description of this activity was accurate but no, it was just golf.) As luck would have it, I ran into my dermatologist. She frowns on that pool. She also puts up with me questioning every spot on my body.

In college, we used to use those tin foil blankets. Sometimes, we made a convoluted fire hazard that involved numerous extension cords and electric blankets stretching from our dorm room to the roof. For extra fire fun, we put foil on top.

I'm always attracted to the pool, the lake, the ocean. I'm on top of the sunscreen thing but I still get a tan.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I think of all the things we have done in our life times that we did not know were so harmful I wonder why we are still alive. Especially the older ones. (Like me). Patsy

janis said...

Ahh, those were the days! I use to get so frustrated with you & Deb as you lay there with the baby oil & iodine. I couldn't sit still let alone lay out! Hence me with my lily white *ss.
Annie & her girlfriend use "Afro Sheen". Yes, the oil to calm hair. And it works just like baby oil & iodine but comes in a can and sprayed like hair spray!
I call them Sheri & Debbie junior!

Anonymous said...

I can remember getting on the roof of the garage, next to the pool, trying to get a better tan by lying on the black shingles. I'm paying for it now with all the wrinkles on my face. I'm hoping to win the lottery so maybe I can get the wrinkles taken care of. Sheri, you're lucky, the sun hasn't left its mark on your face, still smooth as a baby's butt. Kim

Anonymous said...

with tanned legs you dont have to wear hose on Sunday morning--and you know this pastor's wife always does the proper thing........NOT