Thursday, July 24, 2008

Good Luck Charms




Some people carry a four-leaf clover or a rabbit's foot. I would tell you I'm not superstitious but if you've read previous posts, you know it's not true. I also carry something with me or have it nearby.

The picture above is my good luck charm. It's my mother on the beach. It's the size of a postage stamp and it's weathered and time worn. Sometimes I pull it out of my pocket or my nightstand and ask, "What should I do?" Sometimes I make faces at it and say, "Ha Ha -- You can't make me!" Sometimes I forget to look at her; I just look at the water and understand why I tie my love of the water with my mother's love.

Sometimes I can crack up noticing that our bodies may have changed but yes, those are our legs in that swimsuit.

I like to think that I invented "Birthday Week." All it means is that you can do or say whatever you want. When I was talking to my mother the other day, she said, "Don't mess with me. It's my birthday week."

Yes, Mom, it is. You may not like the attention but I could line up scores of people who adore you. I could name child after child that you have influenced.

From a simple child who carries this photo as her good luck charm, Happy Birthday week and thank you.

5 comments:

Sandy said...

I had no idea you had this photo. I'm sure it is weathered and time worn, just like me, but it brings back some happy memories and makes me smile. My parents told me it was the first time I saw a little boy naked, and I asked them, "why does he have a tail?"

Thank you for the loving tribute. Looking forward to my birthday lunch with you. I love you more than cherry Coke.

Love,
Mom

janis said...

This is beautiful! As is Sandy. Put me at the front of the line of people that adore her and have been very influnced by her.

Anonymous said...

Of course I love her too. And so did my mother who called her Liz Taylor. She loved Liz at the time and that was a great compliment. Sandy beats Liz Taylor all to heck. Patsy

Anonymous said...

I guess I'll have to stand in line for the "Sandy Fan Club". I've always adored you Sandy and now my 3 boys are getting to experience your loving, caring ways (not to mention your great sense of humor). I'm so glad that you and Paul, mom and dad, Bard and Bill and the rest have rekindled the friendship that we kids know from childhood. My fondest memories are from all of the neighbors hanging out on porches or hoods of cars just chatting the night away while us kids ran and played. Wouldn't it be fun to have a neighborhood picnic somwhere like we used to have? Sheri, we have lots of pictures from those get togethers you could use. Anyway, have a "Great" Birthday week Sandy, you deserve it. Love, Kim

Sandy said...

Thank you Jan, Patsy, and Kim for your sweet notes. I don't feel worthy of all the praise, but I certainly appreciate it.

Kim, your boys will be grown in the blink of an eye. They are precious, and it is fun for us to spend some time with them. I see you in them (as well as Eric), and it takes me back to your childhood.
So many great memories. We hope your kids will have great memories of time spent in this neighborhood too.

Love,
Sandy