Saturday, July 19, 2008

Patriotism

Wearing a flag pin does not automatically make you a proud American. I'm a little sick of people berating Obama when he forgets to wear it. I'm sicker when he actually does it. I'm convinced he's just appeasing the media and the critics. We had this congresswoman whose entire wardrobe was flag attire. I thought it was fake and disrespectful.

In my Leave It To Beaver childhood, we said the pledge of allegiance every morning. There was a flag in the classroom and we put our palm over our heart as we recited. We were taught to stand for the national anthem. No hats were allowed.

Maybe I've spent too much time around military people. It is my right to criticize or question the actions of my government. It is also my duty to respect this country and all who have fought for our freedoms. I have been known to jab a complete stranger at a ball game. "Quit fiddling with your beer. Stand up. Take your hat off."

Most people oblige but occasionally I wonder why no one has slapped me.

No comments: