Sunday, July 13, 2008

Water Heaven

We just returned from our friends' lake cottage. It's a lot of packing and driving for less than two days but I don't care. We have a system and I can pack in 10 minutes as long as someone as done the laundry. Ooops! That would be me. We haul the dog, her crate, her bag, nine million toys and tennis balls. It would've been easier to adopt a baby and take his or her stuff along. (Of course, Child Protective Services probably frowns when you get tired of them and throw them in a crate for a break. -- Wait a minute! In my childhood, those were called playpens.

The weather forecast was lousy. I didn't care. After driving through some rain Friday night, we arrived to friends sitting on the patio. Saturday morning was gray, rainy, etc. The women of the cottage took the dogs for a romping walk in the rain, mud and muck. They had a darn good time.

Then, the skies cleared. The sun came out. I did my best to stay outside. Oh, I slept inside, went in to make a sandwich, etc. but soaked it in. Wet dogs shaking off after a swim. Little children on neighboring piers learning to flip and dive. Sunsets over the water. This is the womb for me.

We had six adults, one teenager plus dogs: two golden retrievers, one yellow Lab and our maniac black Lab. They could all get a job at Walmart because they are excellent greeters. Gabby plants herself on the stairs between the house and the pier in case anyone needs to go up or down. There are many dogs on both sides but somehow, they all get along.

Today, we took a long boat ride, courtesy of some friends, and enjoyed a leisurely lunch. Then we packed it all up and headed home. The husband headed to the driving range and I headed to the laundry room.

1 comment:

janis said...

I am so glad you got your piece of heaven. Lord knows you deserve it. I do think having a little place to retreat would be lovely. Just the peacefulness and away from work would be lovely. This is another "someday wish". Until then, I must continue to paint, tear out carpets & do all this fun stuff to get the house ready. Would love to have you join me:) It could be fun... anything with you is fun.