Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Sharing

People always assume that the only child is spoiled rotten. I will light the way and show you the truth. Children with jillions of siblings are the selfish ones. They grow up fighting and finagling for their fair share of affection, quality time, new shoes and sometimes food. As adults, they tend to hang on tightly to what is rightfully theirs.

I find only children to be the opposite. We didn't have to share in our childhood so our parents drilled the importance of giving and sharing into us. Need a car? Borrow mine. Need some books? I'll put a box together for you. Need a shoulder to cry on? I always have time. Are you in trouble or scared? I'll put clean sheets on the guest bed and tuck you in.

Being an only child is supposedly very lonely but that's not reality. I have this posse of friends, aunts, cousins who make me feel like siblings. Plus, I have my pseudo sister and especially my goldies.

3 comments:

cecily crossman said...

More important than being an only child was the kind of parents you had.

But you make a good point.

Anonymous said...

Good begets good. Just remember how you took care of the Oldies. Do you have any idea how much they love and appreciated all you did for them? Sorry,I have no plans on giving the preacher a pedicure and I sleep with him. Sex is one thing but a pedicure is another.

Anonymous said...

You missed out on hand me downs, being compared to your older or younger siblings, driving the car who 2 others got to wreck, etc.

I am glad your only child experience was great but I am sure you would agree---- having other in the nest to fight for what you belive in yours makes life a lot more interestng!!!!!!

I am sure many times in your youth with the Seats/Bayliff/Davis clan you felt you were right there with us.

Long live the Pasadena gang!!!!


Rich