Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Divorce Parties

Have you heard of these? I have not attended one but I was aware that they exist. There seem to be two types:
Women who have some cocktails, put his photos on a pinata and take turns bashing his face in; or

A couple who chooses to throw a party to celebrate their years together right before they go their separate ways.

I'm sounding like an oldie but both versions of this party give me the creeps. I hear the Belle in my head, "That is not proper behavior." I'm trying to imagine the invitation. Is it:
Bring your favorite baseball bat, or
Bring your favorite memory?

As much as I hate the idea, there is a little logic to it. You invite your friends and family to watch you join as a union. They celebrate your accomplishments and your family over the years. When you end it, it extends far beyond the two innocents who said, "I do." It changes lives. It makes friends question their own relationships. It is not fair to children. Parents on both sides wonder where they went wrong. Traditions get changed and rearranged.

I picked up a small book called, The Divorce Party by Laura Dave. I believe it is her first novel. The concept is simple: one woman at the beginning of her marriage and one woman at the end of hers. Their intertwining struggles made me laugh and cry. It's a quick read: a few hours on the beach or an evening alone. I hope you'll read it.

I have no plans to get divorced. If, Heaven Forbid, that were to happen. I will not have a party.

2 comments:

cecily crossman said...

I just can't imagine celebrating a divorce.

But I can see celebrating the beginning of a new life path.

Anonymous said...

I would celebrate such a thing. Hell, I would bring the "chipper"!

Sometimes, you to move forward an ending like that may make the new begining easier.