Friday, July 11, 2008

Body Parts

Men used to announce, "I'm a leg man." Or, "I'm a breast man." I have no idea if young men still do this -- I'll have to ask the baby -- but it always stuck with me.

Many body parts betray us as we age. Some parts get wrinkly and droopy. Others just diminish, like eyesight or hearing.

I am not a young person but I'm not an oldie either. One of my favorite things about the Belle was her absolute refusal to be old. Kicky clothes and kicky shoes made her happy. She was the Queen of Accessories. I was taking notes.

My mother asked me to stop writing about our weird legs. Sorry! You can't tell me what to write. I have been fighting these legs my entire life. Throw in a major dose of middle age and suddenly, they're not just weird shaped. Now they have wrinkly knees (too much sun) for added fun.

When I was a child, my friends Kim and Angel had beautiful legs. I haven't seen Angel in years but Kim still has them. Jan has gorgeous legs. My friends Mickey and Cynthia have serious gams. I've made the mistake, more than once, of being photographed next to one or all of them in a swimsuit.

Lately I am surrounded by young women with these gazelle-type legs. My goddaughters, my neighbors, my niece Kelly and daughters of friends. I stare. I drool. I know it's a sin but I covet them.

I still wear shorts and skirts. Leg men would run away. Deal with it.

Is there such a thing as men who are attracted to arms?

6 comments:

Sandy said...

Enough about the legs!

Anonymous said...

Oh pleeaase! There's nothing wrong with your legs. Men probably don't notice your legs because they can't get past your beautiful smile.
Kim

janis said...

How sweet for you to mention mine, however, they are not what they use to be. I agree with Kim. Not only is your smile killer but those eyes....

cecily crossman said...

I haven't really checked out the Indy family legs.

I'll have to do that next time I'm in town.

Sheri Riley said...

A friend of a friend uses this line about body parts going south: "I used to be a 34C, now I'm a 34 Long." Cracks me up every time.

Anonymous said...

I can't go the Mardi Gras and wave my arms shouting "throw me something Mr"...they would throw me a long sleeved shirt..thanks for the note about Kelly..love yall