Friday, July 4, 2008

Independence Day

Today is the 4th of July. Along with the BBQs and parties, I try to respect the history of this holiday. I cry easily and patriotic songs can make me weep. It's therapeutic and it reminds me of the many things I should be grateful for. In case I'm not feeling mushy enough, I like to remind myself:

There are millions of people in this country, let alone the world, who do not have enough to eat.
There are women who give birth and watch their babies die due to lack of food or medicine.
People live under bridges and overpasses. I have a roof over my head.
Diseases can rum rampant and many millions of people have no access to health care. I have my doctor on speed dial.

There's an old saying: "You come into this world alone and you leave it alone." I don't find it true. If you're lucky, as I am, you get some pretty great parents who you meet right out of the birth canal. I've watched my mother hold lots of parents' hands when it was their time to go. They may have made the journey alone but someone was right there at the beginning and the end.

I used to think of myself as independent. I'm not. Oh, I could make it on my own but I like the dependence on my friends and family. I'm even dependent on the maniac dog -- I'm guaranteed a laugh.

I'm trying to find the balance.

2 comments:

janis said...

Happy 4th of July! We do have so much to be thankful for. I am surprised you did not mention our troops that are fighting and even dying for our freedom as well as others. I pray for them and their families. I think mostly of them on this patriotic day.
Love You! Have a wonderful day!

Anonymous said...

Dependence is what brings us all together. Whether it's for for food, love or protection, we all need one another. I certainly need my friends and family and am so grateful to have you/them. So, Happy Dependence Day! Love you and miss you more....Deb