Tuesday, July 8, 2008

In My Father's Arms

When I was poring through photos, looking for appropriate pictures to use on the CD cover for my Dad's Father's Day gift, I noticed that most of the photos of just the two of us involved a hug or his arm around me.

We're touchy people. I find his affection especially amazing since his mother died when he was very young and his father was a cold man, incapable of showing affection.

I spent several hours with my Dad yesterday. We're still touchy. We hug. We pat each other's arms or knees. We still link arms. I don't think we've ever gone through a conversation without the words, "I love you." Even when he doesn't agree with my decisions or I get on his nerves, he's on my side. Or, at least there to pick up the pieces.

No offense to the husband, my mother or the many other people who hug me. But, I breathe a little better in my father's arms.

3 comments:

Sandy said...

What a loving tribute to your father. I think a lot of people like his hugs, including me.

Anonymous said...

I wasn't going to comment on this, but I must. My father did not know how to show affection so I did not know what the father, daughter love is until we had Kim. I could sit for hours and watch thoes two and feel so wonderful. It took years to learn of my father's demons and his love for us. You and Kim and so many others are truly fortunate for that kind of love. Patsy

janis said...

Sheri, that was beautiful! You are both blessed to have the father ~ daughter relationship you do.