Thursday, April 24, 2008

Advice I Should Have Heeded

Remember when your parents tried to advise you and you spent most of the time trying not to roll your eyes? Have you ever witnessed that glazed look on a teenager's face while you're trying to share the wisdom of your years?

I'm not talking about values and ethics. I'm talking about simple decisions or skills that might make life easier or at least, save some embarrassment.


Get dressed, put on some make-up and be ready to greet the day.
Wrongo. I have my coffee and head for my office. Unless I have an early meeting, I can start writing and lose track of time. Every one from the FedEx delivery person to the man that tunes the piano has seen me in my ratty bathrobe.

Speak only with kindness.
My mouth gets ahead of my brain. I'm working on it. I do not like to be cornered. I tend to lash out.

Pay your bills on time.
I wish I had the money I have spent in late fees and making things current. It's absurd and insane.

Don't tell people too much.
I'm still iffy on this one. I tell people way, way too much. I have been burned. But I have also learned some lessons about trust.

Don't marry too young.
I don't regret the relationship with my first husband. I do regret that we got married before we were formed as adults. Yes, I know many people make it work. I didn't and I hurt a very nice man.

Make your bed.
I do this. I cannot stand to crawl into an unmade bed. But many times, I may not make it until 3:00 PM when I happen to wander back there. On the days you do not make your bed the moment your feet hit the floor, you will have a plumbing crisis or something that will involve plumbers or workers traipsing through your bedroom and you will feel slovenly that your bed is unmade.

Know your path.
I'm Dorothy on the Yellow Brick Road. Sometimes the bricks branch off and you get to make choices. I know my path today but I am open to the branch in the road.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is one of your best!!-as usual I have a response. You should only have to put on makeup Sunday-Friday. If the neighbors dont want to see me in my PJ's-drinking coffee in my swing-then they should stay inside on Saturdays. The preacher keeps telling me over,and over, and over to speak w/kindness-..I tell him to leave me alone.I worked for the credit bureau(hell with florescent lights)yes pay bills on time. I make my side of the bed when my feet hit the floor. If the preacher is still in,he makes his side when he gets up and vice versa. It really does work. I know my path and would not change anything except to be able to pick my daughter's husband when she is 30. Love to you both BGS