Friday, April 25, 2008

I Approve This Message

Is anyone else tired of this phrase? Did they pass a law about requiring this statement that I am unaware of? Is the voting public considered so idiotic that they could not/would not distinguish between a candidate's ad or a smear campaign from the competitor?

Last year, the Belle and I had a conversation about the 2008 presidential election. She told me who she planned to vote for and when questioned further, she said, "He will take the best care of the veterans." I confess, I had this thought:
Oh my Gosh, will you still be living here in November? (I was thinking moving, not death.)
Every vote comes down to personal circumstances and priorities. Mine might be property taxes. Yours might be the school system or gambling in your community. I don't think we choose by age, sex, race or religion, but I know some people who will rule a candidate out based on these factors. I guess you have to weigh it out, based on your own value system and your own priorities. Frankly, I don't care if a candidate smoked a joint in college. (Although we all know Bill Clinton didn't inhale.) I respect the freedom of religion but I admit to a little wariness with some of them.

The oldies don't get to vote this time. That makes me sad. This is the first year the baby gets to vote in a presidential election. That makes me giddy. I know he will vote because if I've done my job well, he is afraid of me. I have drilled it into him. This is the poor child that I have (more than once) dragged out of bed to watch some historic event. During Reagan's funeral, the cameras panned the crowds. I asked, "Who is that?" It might have been world leaders or important people in our government. Yes, his eyes glazed over but I choose to believe some of it was absorbed through osmosis.

I'm Sheri Riley Roman and I approve this message.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You need to wise up. Yes, it is a law.

cecily crossman said...

What an exciting time this is. Lots of idealist young people are again interested.

I'm sure the Baby is excited to be a part.