Thursday, April 3, 2008

College versus the Real World

One of our large universities (and my alma mater) is addressing a problem. There's a big group of students who do almost anything to avoid classes on Friday or early morning classes any day of the week. The students' comments included the following:
I like to party on Thursday nights. I don't do Friday classes.
I refuse to take any class before 1:00pm. I can't focus that early.
I like to go home (or away) on the weekend. Friday classes cut into that time.
This causes big trouble with scheduling the lecture halls, etc. The university is examining several options. All of them will involve more student butts in seats before noon and on Fridays.

Someone wrote an opinion to the editor of our local paper this week. Paraphrasing, it said, "What about the real world? Do these young people think they will find a full-time job that gives them the flexibility to show up in the afternoon and skip Friday work hours?"

The baby is in this very college. He also works at every opportunity. The daughter has worked herself through undergraduate school and law school. I worked while I was in college. I also recall some 8:00 A.M. classes and Friday classes. (I still went to the Thursday night party; I just went home a little earlier than most.)

The Belle would refer to this as work ethic or learning to balance things. She learned it early. I hope these kids that gripe about time schedules learn it eventually.

No comments: