Tuesday, April 22, 2008

A Love of Reading

While doing some research today, I stumbled on some statistics that shook me. Just because there's that old joke, "Statistics prove statistics are true" doesn't stop the fascination.

Here are a few that caught my interest:
1/3 of high school graduates never read another book for the rest of their lives.
80 percent of U.S. families did not buy or read a book last year.
70 percent of U.S. adults have not been in a bookstore in the last five years.
Each day in the U.S., people spend 4 hours watching television, 3 hours with the radio and 14 minutes reading magazines. (Books didn't even make the survey.)

I love to read. Anything! The last time I was in a bookstore, which was just a couple of days ago, my friend said, "Should I get a UHaul?" I have stacks and stacks waiting for my attention. They are my friends.

It's not just books. After I hit the "on" button for coffee, my next priority is the newspaper. I must read certain magazines. (I don't know half of the people they're profiling as stars in People Magazine but I still read it.) I actually like reading business plans. I miss the days when the teenagers in my life wanted me to read and comment on their essays.

Like all of you, time is short. I don't have a lot of reading time. I try to schedule it before bedtime and then I fall asleep without getting far. Maybe that's why I love to be on a plane -- cell phones off and a book to enjoy at leisure.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh how I miss reading! Last year on spring break I read TWO books that mom/day had, two! I'll get back to it after the boys are older but I do miss reading a good book. Kim

janis said...

I am still trying to make time to read the book you loaned me last month, but I promise myself to get it and another read on the business trip this weekend. I do think that I should commit myself to reading more. It is a wonderful oportunity to educate, ponder, & escape. My daily routine involes me checking your Blogs several times a day to read your latest thoughts. We are all addicted much like the Truman Show only It's The Riley Roman Show.