Saturday, April 19, 2008

Manipulators

During an email conversation with the Golden Girls this week, one of them mentioned that her daughter has become a little manipulator. We disagreed on the word manipulator but we all agreed that daughters have a way with fathers. We debated whether fathers have a blind spot or just a soft spot for daughters. I think it's both.

I'm 44-years old and my father still has a soft spot for me. He expresses his concerns to my mother and then she gets to have the tough talk with me. I see the "she walks on water" look in the husband's eyes when we discuss the daughter.

It makes me sad for the millions of children who grow up without fathers. Boys, of course, need the stability, love and support of a father. They also need a role model. Girls all deserve to grow up with a man who thinks the sun rises and sets on them. My belief is that it creates a stronger sense of self with the reliable cushion of knowing you are loved.

I asked my friends these questions: "Didn't we do this when we were young? Didn't we know which parent to ask and always know Dad would be more likely to say yes?"

The best answer was, "I didn't ask. I just went ahead and did it."

Touche!

No comments: