Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Multi-tasking

Some people claim this is a downfall to our society. We have to do too many things at once. I hope they're wrong because I'm pretty darn good at it. I can type, wait for the scanner to finish scanning and watch the news out of the corner of my eye. I can check my email and my voicemail at the same time. I can wash dishes and write copy in my mind.

Twenty years ago, I was likely the woman you saw driving with hot rollers in her hair, a cigarette in one hand and the mascara wand in the other. (I don't do this any more -- I gave up mascara.)

I watch kids texting while listening to their iPod, while carrying on a conversation. If I ever learn to text, I will be this person.

The oldies used to comment, "Would you slow down?" There's a lesson to be learned.

I suppose there's this Zen thing where you're supposed to quiet your mind and relax your body. I try. A dip in the tub and an engrossing book can take me a long way in that direction. But, I am usually swimming against the tide. My brain still races.

Multi-tasking also brings distractions. I just realized I've been running around all day with my shirt on backwards. Not the first time.

2 comments:

Sandy said...

You should have given up the cigarettes and kept the mascara.
Love,
Mom

janis said...

I knew Sandy would respond like that! I agree, except you don't even need the mascara, or hot rollers!