Thursday, April 10, 2008

Antsy with Anticipation

Remember that childhood feeling of eagerly awaiting Christmas or your birthday? I love that feeling and I'm experiencing it today. Tomorrow is not Christmas or my birthday; it's the day I head to my favorite writing conference.

I get to go to Manhattan -- my favorite destination. I will be surrounded by interesting people in an industry I love. My head will be spinning with ideas and suggestions. I will be reminded of how much I don't know and I will be reinvigorated to learn. I'll swap notes with my friend Abby, who also attends, and we'll brainstorm with each other.

It's only a long weekend but it's expensive. I have to justify it to myself every year. When this year's agenda/registration landed in my inbox, I shared it with the Belle. I shared it with my mother. I called Abby. All agreed: You must go.

It's ripe with possibility. Maybe I'll meet an editor who will be a potential partner or an agent that shows an interest in my writing. Maybe the other writers I meet will send me referrals.

My self-imposed rule is simple. I must learn or meet someone that can:
Improve my writing, or
Enhance the bottom line of my company, or
Show me a new skill, or
Open doors.

I'm tired. I haven't packed. But, I'm giddy with anticipation.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think this is my favorite weekend of the year -- going to this conference. I, too, have a rule that I need to come back and act on something I learned.

Last year Sheri and I attended a blogging course. While wide-eyed and overwhelmed, we came home and started ours up.

This year we are taking it a bit farther: forcing ourselves to participate in the evening group activities with the other writers -- something I typically turn down.

Anonymous said...

I understand that you started this blog after attending last year and you have touched so many lives by it. Can't wait to see what is next. Enjoy! Patsy

cecily crossman said...

Wish I was going with you. Manhattan is my favorite city also. I'd live there if I had a kibillion dollars.