Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Mommy and Daddy

When the oldies were with us, she would often instruct the husband:
You need to spend some time with your daddy.

Or, one of her sons would call and after their visit, she would say:
Now you need to talk to your daddy.

My mother and her sisters called their fathers (Wild Bill and Pa) "Daddy" until their dying day.

"Mommy" doesn't stick around as long. It changes to Mom, Mama, Mother, etc. Why is that? I remember the year I stopped being Mommy. I became Mom. I can promise you that my mother remembers this transition in her life.

I don't call my father "Daddy." But thanks to the southern influence in my life, "Dad" has multiple syllables so it sort of comes out the same way.

3 comments:

Sandy said...

I still refer to my father(s) as Daddy.
Love,
Mom

janis said...

I don't recall ever calling my Dad Daddy, although my Mom, now will say things like Belle, "your Daddy wants to talk to you", where did that come from? I think it's an oldie thing that people sometimes revert back to. I must have called him Daddy, but I always remember Dad. On the other hand, I remember when my girls stopped calling us Mommy & Daddy. I get giddy when they do on ocassion, usually when they want something.

Anonymous said...

The only thing I remember my mom and Aunt Mimi calling Grandpa Love is "Daddy". They referred to Grandma Love as "Mother". As far as I remember I've only called my parents "Mom" and "Dad". Drew went through a period that he called me "Mother" and it seemed to come out of the blue until we figured out that mom and Eric would say something like "let's wait for your "Mother". Funny how things change. Kim