Saturday, April 5, 2008

A Moment in History

Yesterday was the 40th anniversary of the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr. Bobby Kennedy was in Indianapolis for a campaign stop and he delivered the news to a stunned crowd. As news of the assassination spread across the land, many cities erupted in riots and chaos. Indianapolis did not and it was largely due to the wise and calming words delivered by Bobby Kennedy.

Ethel Kennedy (Bobby's widow) was in our city yesterday. She was honoring both men. Our local paper was all over it. Some articles remembered that day. Others in the op/ed section pleaded with the younger generation to remember history and learn the lesson.

There's a sculpture in our city that's a tribute to them both. It's metal and it's moving. It shows both men reaching but not quite attaining the handshake. Part of the metal comes from melted-down firearms.

My friend designed this sculpture. He won a national contest and poured his heart and soul into it, along with a lot of melted firearms. I went to the ceremony when it was unveiled.

The artist reminded me of another snapshot of this historic moment: www.rippleofhopemovie.com.

I wish I could say something new and profound about these two men who died at such a young age in 1968. I'm don't have the words and I was a child.

But, I can tell you that there's a monument in my city honoring both of them. I'm thrilled to know the artist. I'm hoping their message is still being conveyed. It's not lost on me.

No comments: