Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Trapped

I went to the BMV yesterday to renew my driver's license. Some psycho woman was in line behind me and insisted on repeating the same phrases: "I didn't get my tags, did you?" I tried the polite smile and the minimal answer. It didn't work. "Are you sure we're in the right line?" (I'm very unclear about when she and I became a "we.")

I seem to attract these people. When I'm on an airplane, the stranger next to me ignores my obvious obsession with the crossword puzzle or my book. He or she feels the need to tell me about the job and the kids. Great! Good for you! Get your elbow off the armrest and we'll get along fine.

I used to think living with the oldies was a trap. I see the situation differently now.

A few times in my life what I viewed as a trap turned out to be a safety net.

2 comments:

janis said...

You are just a personable person or a great challenge... I think both.
Remember, never make eye contact with strangers you wish not to speak with. Also, I find it amusing to pretend you don't speak English or that you are hearing impaired (I tried to teach you sign language, See it could have come in handy after all!)
About the arm rest, how about the people that feel it's okay to be touching you. Your in a tight spot such as a airplane seat, and they are way into your "personal space" leg touching, foot touch, shoulders, whatever..I HATE THAT! Jeepers Creepers! Got off me!

Anonymous said...

In the 70's one of Big Daddy's brother and I went to New Orleans one weekend. With ever step we took someone tried to stop us and give us a sermon on drinking. It got really annoying so I told him,"The next person that stops us-you just look arounc and I will explain that you are deaf"..my cousin said great. Two seconds later we were approached and I explained our situation. Wouldnt you know the "street minister" knew sign language. I explained my cousin was also "slow" and did not know sign language.