Thursday, April 3, 2008

A Community Request Fulfilled

Two days ago, I received an email plea. A teenager (friend of a friend of a friend) had reached his lifetime limit on his medical policy. He was/is desperately in need of a transplant.

I do not know this young man. But I do know the person who sent me the email. The request was not for gobs of money -- just $25.

The front page of my paper this morning featured a human interest story. "Teen to get transplant after donations pour in." (Indystar.com)

Just when I get a little down about human nature and our selfish ways, I am blessed with an inspiration.
The original email from his parents went out Friday. By Tuesday, they had $175,000. By 3:00 PM Wednesday, they had $355,000. Four hours later, the total exceeded $400,000.

Imagine how much more is pouring in. Imagine the relief his parents feel to have this show of love and support.

No comments: