Friday, August 8, 2008

Big Girls Cry



My childhood dog was amazing. She saw me through childhood. puberty and my high school years. When I was in college, she died in my father's arms. I hope our dogs show up in heaven because I would love a reunion.

Now I have a maniac dog and occasionally I steal her pillow. She licks my tears.

Big girls do cry.

They cry because they're scared.

They cry when they're disappointed.

They cry when they're surrounded by people and still feeling lonely.

They cry at memories and hopefully, laugh through the tears.

They cry at graduations, weddings and funerals. They also cry at little life changes. Sometimes they (I) do this in the privacy of the bathroom or the closet.

It's very common for parents to tell children, "Be a big girl" or "Be a big boy." I've done it. I wonder if I told them often enough that it's okay to cry.

3 comments:

cecily crossman said...

I love this picture - of you and the dog!

I think we all need to cry more - especially me. I've spent a lifetime of holding it back and that's not good.

Sheri Riley said...

It's not me.

janis said...

We also cry for no reason at all and every reason under the sun.

I am so grateful for the love of my sweet pets through the years and their ability to shoulder my tears.

ps the picture could be you, but looks nothing like Candy.