Friday, August 15, 2008

Dancing Queen

Dancing is part of my soul. I'm not good at it but I don't care. It brings me great joy. I dance at parties. I danced in ballet and theater groups. I dance on counters. My favorite times with the husband are when we dance on the patio.

I rarely give opinions about recent movies because I rarely go the movie theater. This has been a banner summer -- I've been twice.

While at the lake, a gaggle of girlfriends and acquaintances (11 of us!) traded in a gray and drizzly day for dinner and a movie. The vote was unanimous, Mamma Mia. Mixed reviews had come from all sides, the media, people I know who had seen it, etc. I knew I would love the music and I was happy for the theater experience. They could just put Pierce Brosnan on the screen for two hours and I would eat popcorn and be a happy lady. I'm also a big fan of Meryl Streep and Colin Firth.

See it. Better yet, see it with some girlfriends. Sing along. The movie is great but for extra fun, the song routines during the credits had eleven women singing at the screen and waving our arms.

There is a little part of me that is a "Dancing Queen."

3 comments:

cecily crossman said...

I agree. This movie is total fun. I even liked hearing Pierce sing.

Even though ABBA was way AFTER my time.

janis said...

I loved it. Saw it with my girls. The best memory for me is when Emily leaned over as Meryl Streep started her first song, and said,"Is this a musical?". I will forever smile when thinking about that!

Anonymous said...

I imagine that it would be like last Friday night all of us dancing the night away, what a blast! We have to do it again. Several years ago Rich got tickets for mom, dad and I to see Mama Mia at the Murat. I was hesitant since I wasn't familiar with musicals. OMG, we love every minute of it. I haven't seen the movie yet but my youngest, Jake, hears the commercials and wants to see it. Anything with dancing and singing I'm all about. Do they let you dance in the isles? Kim