Tuesday, August 26, 2008

"We're Your Oldies Now."

My father had surgery this morning. He is fine...resting uncomfortably and probably trying to figure out how he let his daughter get him into this situation.

For a surgery day, we had lots of laughs. My mother and I teased my father about his cute gown and hair bonnet. When he was registering for surgery, he went up alone. Oh no -- not going to happen. I tagged along. (Secretly, I think he likes it when I do that.)

During his surgery, my mother and I tried to distract ourselves. We both did the crossword puzzle.

I listened for our name. If someone came in and said, "Riley," I jumped to my feet and said, "Here!" (I would've been great in the military.)

After surgery, the doctor met with us. "Do you have any questions?" is the standard question. My mother had none. I had several.

My parents are not old and they are extremely self-sufficient. But I like to tease them. I told my mother that they'd still be waiting around for someone to call them. She laughed and said, "We're your oldies now."

Not true. But, they have been very accommodating of my quirks. They let me lurk and listen. They let me say, "No, we're going to do it another way."

We did have a little battle in the surgery prep room. Sinus surgery involves several days of breathing only through the mouth. No bending, no stress on the face, no blood rushing to your head. My mother and I decided to exchange words about whether or not the dogs could sleep with them for the next three days. Guess what? "No!" This provided a lot of amusement for my father and if I find out she let those dogs in bed, I will kidnap him and bring him here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is going to be a tough one. I will be interested in knowing who wins. Patsy

Anonymous said...

Hopefully he comes through this as well as I did a few years ago. The hardest part was having to sleep upright on several pillows for a week. Tell him we're thinking of him and hope he recovers quickly. Kim

Sandy said...

As I am writing this comment, the dogs are languishing on the bed with your father. The three of them are very content. I had a little talk with the dogs, and they know their boundaries. No kissing your dad until the packing comes out on Friday. They are happy to just lie at his feet.
Love,
Mom