Thursday, May 15, 2008

Best or Worst Hostess

My niece is here. She is visiting before she starts a new job on Monday. I am thrilled to have her but I'm constantly fearful that she is bored.

Depending on how you define it, I could be the poster child for best or worst hostess. On the good side, my home is open. I will show you where everything is and you could not offend me in the slightest by helping yourself to anything. On the bad side, I will show you where everything is and I sort of expect you to help yourself. (Of course, I will run around behind you asking, "Do you need anything?"

We have fun plans for tomorrow and Saturday. Today, she got to experience the extra fun stuff of running errands, exchanging my cell phone (which she programmed,) and putting gas in the car. Yippee! Well, we did go out to lunch.

She is smart and aware. I like that description because so many of us bumper car our way through experiences. In the 24-hours that she has been here, she has picked up on many things about this city and our culture that I never bother to notice.

The dog greeted her by jumping on her and then throwing up on the carpet. I suspect she was getting an early start on Digestive Disease Week.

Big Daddy took us to dinner last night and a delightful tour of homes in our area. Then we did some singing around the piano. The baby will be over tonight so she'll have someone remotely close to her own age to converse with. Cousin time is always good.

1 comment:

janis said...

Your niece is delightful! I am so glad I got the opportunity to meet her.
I am sure she is enjoying her visit with you all. You are the QUEEN of hostess! Ask anyone that has been in your home! You make everyone feel welcomed, wanted & loved.

Gabby must have just got overly excited! Besides, Digestive Diseaase Week isn't until next week! Remember?