Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Sweet Caroline

Recently, Neil Diamond made it public that his song, "Sweet Caroline" was about Caroline Kennedy. No one has ever written a song about me but I like to pretend that any song that has any version of my name is just for me.

I just heard the news that Sweet Caroline's Uncle Ted Kennedy (Democrat Senator from Mass.) has been diagnosed with aggressive brain cancer. Hasn't this woman been through enough?

Her father was assassinated when she was a small child,
Then her uncle was assassinated,
She had to follow when her mother married Ari, the magnate,
She nursed her mother through cancer,
Her brother and sister-in-law died in a plane crash,
Countless uncles, aunts and cousins have had scandals and untimely deaths.

That just hits a few.

I can't quite get over Chappaquiddick or the rape trial where Ted Kennedy testified on behalf of his nephew, Michael Kennedy Smith. In both situations, I fall in the camp of screaming, "Guilty!"

Regardless of my politics, the Kennedys have been American royalty for my entire life. The Senator has served our country, however he saw fit. I don't wish cancer or disease on any person.

I used to want to be Caroline. I gave up that fantasy. But I hope she knows that there are a bunch of us middle-aged women who have followed her and admired her.

I wish Ted Kennedy recovery. But mainly, I wish Sweet Caroline some well-deserved peace from this roller coaster.

3 comments:

janis said...

I have also always admired her. Thanks for putting "Sweet Caroline" in my mind, I will be singing it all day now :)

Anonymous said...

Caroline is the white sheep in a black family.

If we go back in history we find papa Joe made his money running Hooch during prohibition-- he was a modern day gangster that allowed his offspring to jump on his money and spin this in later years to look like American Royality.

This family is tainted but love the sin and not the sinner--- The offspring have paid the price--- most died gruesome and untimely deaths.

I am sorry Ted is now dying with a brain tumor but he was shit years ago and is still shit now.

I hope he dies peacefully in his sleep but he always was scum and will die scum.

Thanks for letting me vent on this pseudo-royal family.

rich

Anonymous said...

I love Rich's comments.