Monday, May 26, 2008

I Double Dog Dare You

I am a weenie and a scaredy cat. Yet, water brings out the rebel in me.

My mother takes some water classes but she's constantly reminding me that she is not a swimmer. Because of her fear of water, she made sure I took swim lessons. (I made sure I had a stomach ache whenever necessary.)

I sat in Cocktail Corner yesterday and watched kids go off the diving board. They gang up on each other, whether the child is two-years old or 17-years old. They scream, "Do a cannonball, do a back flip, do a belly flop." They double dog dare each other and I am transported in time.

How many hours did I spend standing on the side of that pool teaching the baby to dive? How many times did he develop a stomach ache before the swim class? I might be a wuss but there's something about that diving board. Before the summer is over, I will dive, flip and flop.

As we had our first pool-side cocktail yesterday, one of my friends said, "Just get it over with." No. I like the anticipation.

3 comments:

janis said...

You are a rebel. You are not, nor have you ever been a weenie, scaredy cat, or a wuss. You are the brave one. You sometimes over-analyze but because you are cautious and or because you are a facts person. Go for the gold! Do your dive, flip & even your flop. You will be envied by all for you sparkle.

Anonymous said...

Do not do the flip or the flop.
love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

I remember one summer when I took you and the brats to the park for swim lessons. I think that was 300 years ago. Patsy