Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Cooking for One

The Belle cooked three meals a day, plus snacks. I was in awe -- who does this? It's one thing when you have young children and you're responsible for their nutrition but it's quite different when they grow up.

My parents used to joke that it's hard to cook for two people so they decided to eat for four. In reality, they go out a lot, as we do.

The husband has many evening commitments: band practice, band gigs, client dinners, committee meetings, golf events, etc. On more than one occasion I've cooked something and then learned he had a prior engagement. I got tired of throwing food out so I've scaled back my cooking considerably.

Cooking for one is not high on my priority list. I used to make some of my favorite things that the husband hates. These days, I'm more likely to open some soup or make a grilled cheese. When my mom gives me a cheese ball, that can be my dinner. (Cheese and bread/crackers are two of my favorite foods.)

The other night the husband came home from a meeting. I assumed he had eaten. The next thing I know, he's frying up an egg. I could smell the butter in the next room. For a nanosecond, I thought, "The oldies are back."

1 comment:

janis said...

Oh My God!! He isn't turning into the Belle with Frying is he???

ps. thanks for the pretzel & onion dip lunch yesterday :)