Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day

I've had weird dreams lately. They include conversations with the Belle and my grandmothers. Today is Mother's Day so I guess that's been on my mind.

Most women take advantage of their female parts and birth a baby or five. Some of us become mothers through a different avenue. Any 13-year old with a uterus can birth a baby. It's what you do with that child, how you teach and sweat over that defines motherhood. As the famous quote goes, "It's taking your heart out of your body and wearing it on your sleeve."

My parents will come over later and my mother and I will bicker. She will never get how much I honor and respect her. I will never forgive her for giving me her legs. She will always be my champion.

As we celebrate motherhood, here are a few quotes you might enjoy:

Joys

When you are a mother, your are never really alone in your thoughts. You are connected to your child and to all those who touch your lives. A mother always has to think twice: once for herself and once for the child. (Sophia Loren)

A mother's arms are more comforting than anyone else's. (Princess Diana)

If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do matters very much. (Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis)

A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity. It dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path. (Agatha Christie)

And now, some fun ones:

Whenever I'm with my mother, I feel as though I have to spend the entire time avoiding land mines. (Amy Tan)

My mother could stop you from doing anything, through a closed door even, with a single look. Without saying a word, she has that power to rip out your tonsils. (Whoopi Goldberg)

You're not famous until my mother has heard of you. (Jay Leno)

If you've never been hated by your child, you've never been a parent. (Bette Davis)

Happy Mother's Day to my mom and all the mothers in the world. It's a tough job but somebody's got to do it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are a great mother. Birthing a child has nothing to do with being a mother. You have proven that over and over. My mother never had to explain her reason for telling me "yes or no". All she had to say was "because I said so"...I did not have to like it -I just had to say" yes ma'am". End of discussion. Love to you both, BGS