Friday, May 30, 2008

Celebrity Hunt

Whenever I travel, especially to the east or west coast, I am constantly scanning the people around me. I'm looking for celebrities. I don't want an autograph and I don't bother them. (A year or so ago, I almost knocked Abby down on a NY street because Chris Rock was standing next to us.)

In this silly but harmless quest, I've been rewarded. I have seen and/or met:
OJ Simpson in the Dallas airport (while he was an athlete and before he became a murderer.)
Teri Garr in a CA hotel.
Jane Seymour in an airport.
Henry Winkler in a NY restaurant.
Kelly Ripa walking down a NY street.
Brooke Shields and Chris Henchy with their daughter in NY.
JFK, Jr. riding his bike in NY.
One of the Wilson brothers (Luke or Owen) on the subway.
Vincent Price, Jane Pauley, Ted Koppel, G. Gordon Liddy in various places.

There are many more.

Last night, the husband and I went to one of our favorite haunts. He stopped in the men's room so I headed to grab a couple of seats at the bar. I ordered us each a glass of wine and took out my notebook to jot down some thoughts. When he joined me, he asked, "Did you see who you're sitting next to?"

Peyton Manning, Indianapolis Colts Quarterback and Superbowl MVP two years ago. Local celebrity of huge magnitude. Big brother of Eli Manning, Superbowl MVP in this year's game. I've met him before but never bellied up to a bar next to him.

As usual, my head was in the clouds and my nose was in a notebook until the husband reeled me back to the real world.

The oldies lived with us when our Colts won the Superbowl. She would've been so impressed that I was sitting next to Peyton.

2 comments:

cecily crossman said...

I'm super impressed that you were sitting next to Peyton!

Of all the celebs you listed I think my favorite for having a conversation would have been Vincent Price.

Anonymous said...

That's fabulous. Was this in NY? Was he with Eli or friends?