Thursday, May 22, 2008

Six-Word Memoirs

On one of my many treks through the bookstore, I stumbled upon a little book, "Six-Word Memoirs by Writers Famous and Obscure." This is from the introduction:
Legend has it that Ernest Hemmingway was once challenged to write a story in six words. Papa came back swinging with, "For sale: baby shoes, never worn." Some say he called it his best work. Others dismiss the anecdote as a literary folktale. Either way, the six-word story was born, and it's been popping around the writing world for years.

I'll share a few of my favorite six-word memoirs from the book:
Aging late bloomer yearns for do-over. Sydney Zvara
Thought long and hard. Got migraine. Lisa Levy
Wasn't born a redhead; fixed that. Andie Grace
Came, saw, conquered, had second thoughts. Harold Ramis
Followed rules, not dreams. Never again. Margaret Hellerstein

Of course, I had to play along. I wrote one for me:
You alone will not defeat me.
Then, I wrote another one:
Rose-tinted glasses color my world.

Then I wrote one about the husband:
Big ego might hide true pain.

On to the oldies. I started with the Belle:
My South is my perfect paradise.

And for Hangdog:
Looking for Belle. Now and forever.

I've written many more. What would yours be? It's a fun exercise but I must caution you, it's addictive.

4 comments:

janis said...

easy:
"Love you, forever and for always."

cecily crossman said...

One of my very favorite titles is Maya Angelou's "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings."

But that's 7 words!

Anonymous said...

I do not have one but I love this subject. Keep it up. Love, Patsy

Anonymous said...

Big Daddy better appreciate his wife.

Kelly needs a rich & famous husband.

Kelly needs a good & kind husband.

I need a new pair of name brand shoes.
My husband needs a good wife.

Sherri is my favorite cousin inlaw