Friday, May 2, 2008

Dotted Swiss and Other Bad Fashion Ideas




It could be rickrack. It might be dotted swiss, ruffles or just the general Gunny Sax look. It comes back to haunt us. Beware friends of mine!! I have lots of photos. Here are just a few.

The Belle loved to buy dresses for me. I was in my 40s while they lived with us, yet she would primp and fuss over me like I was going to a prom.

I was looking for a particular photo and stumbled across every bad dress I wore to a dance or prom. My dates' attires were even worse: baby blue tux, etc. One date brought a top hat and a cane. We didn't date long.

There are no photos of me with a bad perm. The good news is that I never needed one. The bad news is my hair looked weird enough on its own.

Isn't it funny how a photo (or a song) can transport you in time? I like to look at them and ask, "What was I thinking?" I do remember. Mostly I wonder what my parents were thinking.

I wonder if the grown daughter feels that way about her Madonna stage. I wonder if the baby will regret dressing like the boyz in the hood. Or will they embrace it as just a stage?

3 comments:

janis said...

OH MY GOD!!!!
ps.. I have a picture that you are in on MY BLOG

Sandy said...

You guys look so cute in these photos. I remember when we parents were out there taking pictures of all of you. Great memories.
Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

That is hysterical!!! Did we look hot or what?

You can see how much Bruce was interested in his date.

Anyway, I did sooo much better in my choice of men after that, 23 + years and going strong!

Kim