Friday, May 9, 2008

Sleeping Around

I've slept with lots of people. That does not mean I've had sex with lots of people. Mostly, I've slept with my husband(s) and some girlfriends. And my parents. When scared or lonely, I've crawled into their bed. I haven't done this in a couple of decades but I suspect they wouldn't kick me out.

The 70s brought freedom for lots of young women. Free love and access to the birth control pill. Burn that bra and flash your sexual freedom! I might have been the missile but my parents were the silo. They held the key and the pass code.

A couple of times, my built-in moral code emerged. We must get married! Yeah, that worked out well. I've had more than one wedding but only one marriage.

My cousin (one of the smartest people I know) and I had an email conversation the other day. In the midst of solving the problems of the world, I asked, "Was marriage meant to be hard?" His response was, "It just is." I used to watch the oldies get cranky with each other and I was amazed that they had anything left to bristle about.

Having participated in the rearing of two children, I will be the first to acknowledge that the double standard still exists: Men who sleep around are studs. Women get the bad rap.

I know women who wish they had saved their virginity until their wedding night. I know women who regret not sleeping with someone in their past.

I know friends who come from huge families and sleeping with a sibling was the norm. I never had to share a bed with a sibling. I did crawl in bed with my parents the night before I left for college.

I had a roommate in college that had no qualms about having sex while I was in the room. I pretended to be asleep.

The baby will be 20-years old this summer. When he was in high school, my slightly demented father used to ask him, "How's your sex life?" I think he liked to watch his face turn red. I come by it honestly because I made him watch everything possible about STDs, teenage pregnancy, etc. Then, although he rolled his eyes a lot, I made him discuss it. At some point, he figured out that he was bigger than me and he could just heave himself on me to shut me up.

I still sleep around. You might find me on the patio. I have wandered into the guest room trying to escape the television. I have napped on the dog pillow. I have a key to my parent's house and I know their alarm code. More than once, I've been tempted to drive over and crawl in bed. Of course, their dog would bite me.

4 comments:

janis said...

I laugh at thinking about the many times we have shared a bed! I also love when the rare moment comes and Emily or Annie climb in my bed. last year on a trip to Florida, I got to sleep in the middle of both my girls in a tiny (or so it seemed) bed at a stop enroute to our destination. It was hilarious! A real memory keeper.
As for your folks bed, good luck getting past Ashley. Harriet may share them, but Ashley...

cecily crossman said...

I used to have the "Respect women even when they don't respect themselves" speech with my sons each time they returned to college.

Lots of eye rolling.

janis said...

one more thing to add to Cess' comment: I taught confirmation class for a few years. A couple of years ago I was "Blessed" with all boys in my class. It was very interesting. Once we got into a conversation about dating, and how far some go sexually. I told them, to treat each girl, how they would want their future wife, or daughter, to have been treated. And to remember that these girls are someone's future wives. They seemed to get it and have told me that has stuck with them through these years. One told me he hates how he will hear my words at a moment he wished he didn't!

Anonymous said...

Kids today are lucky to have someone woh has been married and has lived life to talk to them about sex. Back in the fifties, in Catholic schools, it was a fairy tale world. Most of the kids figured it out for themselves and went on with their lives and others, like me, were scarred for life. Patsy