Saturday, May 17, 2008

Picking Up Men

Politeness and the teensiest bit of charm can open a lot of doors. I wish more people understood that.

My niece majored in theater so after we toured the husband's office, we decided to visit some of the theaters in town. They were all closed -- setting up for evening performances, etc. We talked our way into every one. One person went to the trouble of turning on all the lights so she could see the venue in its full glory.

It's May and in our city that means an obsession with the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. She mentioned that her father is a racing fan. Time was a little tight so I didn't see the point in paying to park, buying tickets, etc. to watch 5 minutes of practice. We thought we'd just run by the IMS and she could hear the racing engines and see the facility.

When I worked in the corporate world, I spent the entire month of May at the Speedway so I know my way around a bit.

We talked our way into a parking space. We talked our way through multiple people who wanted to see our tickets, our suite pass or credentials. We almost hit a dead end but through some luck and some fast talking, a very nice gentleman showed her the track from several vantage points. He even opened an empty suite for us so she could see the view from the balcony. (It doesn't hurt that she has a charming accent and legs like a gazelle.)

Her mother jokingly said, "Don't pick up any Yankee men." Hell, that's what we did all day. We weren't looking for dates; we were looking for access.

After a dinner where we ran into several other people I know, we headed off to one more stop. It was a private party but we crashed it so the niece could hear the husband's band. I warned her that we wouldn't know anyone. Turns out, we knew at least half the people there. We were once again surrounded by men.

We picked up one more man. He followed us home. We felt pretty safe since he lives here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, this brings back memories (not so long ago, like 2007). Yesterday would have been the Automotive day for The Star. We had some great times at the track on that day. I know that there's no way that they had as much fun this year without me (not bragging, but in the last few years it had gotten pretty lame). I know what you mean, if you act like you know what you're doing and pretend that you own the place you'll get through any security, especially with a couple of "hot girls" in front of them. I don't mean to sound sexist but, tell the neice to go with the looks as long as she can, hey, sex sells and that's a fact! Kim

Anonymous said...

You make me envious---- what a fun day!!!

You did not even get stopped by the police and have to pour out a cooler full of beer. ( remember when that happened in High School)?

I can just see your face light up and apply that Riley charm you know so well how to use.

Now--- I want to go to a nice suite for the first ever motorcycle race this September so how about adding me to your entrouge and getting me into these places.

Hope you and "THE HUSBAND" are doing well.

How about taking your niece to see the exciting concrete mueseum or the underwater submarine races.

Have a great upcoming Holiday weekend.

I am heading off for a long vacation weekend to see a friend on the NC/VA boarder on a nice huge lake.

Your childhood friend,


Rich