Saturday, May 3, 2008

I'm Glad Elvis Never Met Her

Prepubescent and teenage years are tough. Hormones, weight fluctuations, braces, etc. Come to think of it, it's kind of like mid-life without the braces.

This is going to come out wrong. I mean it as a compliment but I also want it to be a lesson to young girls and a tribute to the older ones.

For the young ones: You may never live up to your mother's beauty and that is OK.
For the older ones: You are as beautiful today as you were then.


In the late 60s and early 70s, we were divided. It wasn't Democrat v. Republican. It was a worship fest for Elvis or the Beatles. (That is my memory -- don't mess with me.) The Beatles had split. Elvis had gotten fat and drugged out. My mother used to tell me stories about lying on her bed as a teenager and listening to Elvis. She was certain that if they had met, he would have chosen her over Priscilla. Trust me on this one -- she's right.

The oldie's home in Mississippi was less than an hour from Graceland. In every visit I can remember, the daughter took the opportunity to go there.

Priscilla Presley looks a little odd these days. Meanwhile, my mother has managed to age gracefully.

4 comments:

janis said...

Odd is good word for Pricilla's looks. God love her.

As for your Mamma, She is still knock dead beautiful. Everytime I see her, I think that she is one of the most elegant, beautiful, and graceful women I have ever met. Between her genes & your Dad's, one can see how you are so blessed in appearances as well.

Sandy said...

You guys are embarrassing me. I have a mirror, and I can see that I need a facelift and am way too many pounds overweight.

I never thought Elvis would choose me because I was beautiful; rather that he would choose me because I loved him so much (I have never thought I was beautiful).

Elvis and I got fat together. I still liked him to the end.

I thank you and Jan for your kind words though.

Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Remember when my mother called your mother "Elizabeth Taylor" even though she thought Liz came in second in that contest. I bet Elvis' life would have been much better off with Sandy. And your dad is still a hunk. Do not tell I said that. Patsy

cecily crossman said...

Yep, she's a babe!