Saturday, May 10, 2008

Hard to Undo

As difficult as it may be to believe, we are still dealing with the oldies' paperwork. I ran to pick up carry-out food and came home to hear the husband having this conversation:

"You are not listening to me. I do not authorize further charges. You are not listening to me!"

I know this tone and I know this phrase. It's been thrown at me once or twice or twelve million times. I know that throbbing vein when he's frustrated. I know the look on his face when he's about to lose it. Ah, love.

The oldies were extremely responsible about their bills. They set up automatic payments for a few things and this has been a nightmare. We've sent death certificates. We've paid the balance in full -- yet those automatic charges just keep on coming. You can set it up in minutes. It takes weeks to undo.

Sometimes, life situations need a delete button.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to tell you this story. My mother died in Milwaukee and I took care of the bill in Indy. There was a bill from the anestheologist that came after everything was paid. We received it for some time and tried to work with them. My sister thinks that she had paid it so on the last bill I wrote a note and told them that they could reach Mrs. Love at her new address and gave them the address of the cemetery. Your situation is stickier and will tkae a little longer to clear up. Patsy

Anonymous said...

I love Patsy's story. I wonder if she ever heard from them again.

Anonymous said...

Sheri and Jan:

Go to the Howe web site and click on message board for 1981 ladies.

Lots of crap there but fun to read.

Brought back lots of memories.

Kevin Friedly is running this web site.

There will be a block party for all Howe alumn in september in Irvington.

Hope you are all well

rich

Anonymous said...

No, we never heard from them again and I am sure they did not go out of business because of that little bill. Patsy