Monday, May 19, 2008

Contacts

This is not about your vision. It's about your ability to find whomever you need.

Beyond my magic black book with all of my friends and family's contact info, I keep several rather extensive contact lists:
Clients and previous clients,
Vendors and suppliers,
Household, i.e. plumber, electrician, etc.,
Doctors (I have always known how to reach my doctors but I made a much larger list when the oldies were in our care.)

One of my rules is I refuse to do business with anyone, especially a physician, who will not give me his or her cell phone or home phone number. I have yet to run across a professional person who will not comply. I'm a pretty cautious person and I will not call any of these people at home unless absolutely necessary. When it's necessary, I don't want to waste time.

Because this is an election year, I'm super attuned to politics. Your hot buttons may not be mine, but I hope you know them. Do you know how to reach:
The President (or at least, the White House,)
Your Governor,
Your Mayor,
Your Senators,
Your House Representative?

In your state, do you know how to reach:
Your Prosecutor,
Your Secretary of State,
Your Chief of Police,
The Editor of your local paper?


If you have children in school, do you know how to reach:
The Superintendent and members of the school board,
The principal of your child's school,
Your child's teachers?

Lots of us are complaining about gas prices, the economy, education, our service people in Iraq and Afghanistan, the dismal state of social security, taxes, etc. Maybe it's just pot holes on your street. Many of these people are elected officials. Even the ones who are not elected still want to hear from the people.

Do you let them know what you think? If you're reading this, you have access to the Internet. All of this information is available online.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Between the phone book and the Internet I usually find what I need. Sometimes it takes a while but it works. Patsy

cecily crossman said...

Thanks for this community service reminder. I'm pretty good with the govenment stuff but I feel lucky to have my doctor's OFFICE number! (She's not easy to get to.)

janis said...

You always have your contacts ready! I am surprised you never got a palm to have them all digital ready! I will help program your new phone with them all in it!