Sunday, May 4, 2008

Family Photo Rules

My Uncle Ken had a rule about photos, particularly photos that captured the event. It could've been a holiday or a family reunion but the rule was this:
If you are not related to or married to someone in this family, please step away as we take the family photo.
The first time he ever met the husband, we were not married. My father had not seen his sisters together in decades. An aside: We don't go to many reunions and we get a lot of grief for it. My paternal grandmother's maiden name was Strange. It's a little jarring to be driving through the countryside, looking for a particular park or gathering place and watching for signs that say, "Strange Family Reunion." God does have a sense of humor.I think it was 1992. We have a photo of my father, his sisters, the husband (who was not a husband at the time) and me. My mother keeps this photo on her desk. I visit it in my mind.A few months later, my Uncle Ken came to our home and performed a wedding blessing ceremony for us. He loved us but I'm also convinced he was validating the photo.

No comments: