Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Locks and Lots of Love

My sister has three children -- 2 boys and a girl. Like lots of young women, her life revolves around these babies. From an outsider looking in, she seems to have it all: a loving husband, healthy children, a nice home, etc. She's been through more than her share of adversity yet she didn't let it destroy her. She grew a bigger heart.

Her daughter, her baby, had long and luxurious hair, complete with the baby curls on the ends. She cut 10 inches off her daughter's hair and donated it to Locks of Love, an organization that helps children with cancer or other diseases that support children who simply want to look normal and fit in.

This girl -- my sister, not her daughter -- has put up with me for decades. I have a big, fat mouth. I have criticized many of her decisions. I have bullied her, hopefully in a loving way.

They say it takes a village to raise a child. I say it takes one decision, one sacrifice to make a difference. There's a girl out there who will fit in because of this donation. Way to go, Baby Sis.

1 comment:

janis said...

What an extraordinary lesson to teach her daughter! I love that.