Thursday, June 26, 2008

Airports

Forget about the hassles, the lines through security and the over-priced food. There are several things I love about airports:

People watching. There are some weird ducks out there.

Seeing someone embrace. Maybe it's a father returning from a business trip or a person serving our country returning home.

The anticipation of getting on a plane and going somewhere fun.

Picking up someone you love.

In less than two hours, I am going to the airport. I'm going to pick up someone I love who I have not seen in a year and a half -- just wrong! I am certain I will burst into tears the moment I see her.

My parents do not spontaneously combust every time something touches them emotionally. I have no idea where I got this gene. It does kind of freak people out.

In some undefinable way, the airport allows us to explore all kinds of feelings and emotions. It may be:

Relief: Bye Bye
Sadness: Bye Bye
Fear: Did I leave the coffee pot on?
Love: Welcome home
Jealousy: No one's here to greet me.
Envy: I want that luggage.
Gossip: She's wearing that on a plane?
Stubbornness: I will take my seat and half of yours.

The airport is a sociology experiment brought to life every day.