Sunday, June 22, 2008

Forceful Personalities

I am married to a man with a forceful personality. I know I did this on purpose. Doormats and wishy-washy people tend to bore me. Smart and provocative folks inspire me.

You're welcome to remind me of this the next time I want to shoot the husband or I'm complaining because someone hurt my feelings.

My life is filled with fierce personalities. A mother who defines strong. A father who uses his quiet strength in his own way. (He can still shut me up with a look.) Friends who have weathered storms and shown me the way to survive. Friends who get in your face when they have something important to say. Aunts and uncles and cousins who led me and love me.

I think of the Belle and the Captain every day. I still expect them to meander in the kitchen and fry something up. They were two of the strongest personalities I've ever known. Well, she was. He tried but he was no match for her.

The daughter is a little (she's tiny) whirlwind. "Forceful" doesn't do her justice. The baby reminds me of my father. He may be quiet. He may not say everything on his mind.

All it takes is a look.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a nice tribute to your family and oh, so true. Patsy

cecily crossman said...

Decision making can get really complicated when all the personalities are strong.

Here's a truism: Crossman's can't order pizza.

janis said...

I need not say a word, you know my face, my expression... you know what I am thinking. I love you Birthday Girl!