Friday, June 20, 2008

The "Get Me Out of Here" Window


Remember being pre-teen or early teens? In my day, you did not have the option of cell phones and texting. You were at the mercy of your parents and what they chose as family entertainment.

For a while, my parents chose square dancing -- complete with the full outfits.

Ok, I admit I enjoyed the dancing part but most of the time I felt like a dork. I've always loved dancing but this was not my fave. Part of it felt like I landed on the set of Hee Haw. When you go to school and someone asks, "What did you do this weekend?" Trust me, you don't want to say, "I went square dancing."

We dragged others along. One of my first crushes was Greg Davis and that kind boy accompanied me to many square dances. What was he thinking?

I used to count the days until Jan would get her driver's license. She didn't need my help but I would've taken the test for her. Just get it and let's get out of here!

The Belle would be proud that I was wearing pearls.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is that a square dancing dress you are wearing? Greg still has that cute smile. He is a sweetheart. Now for my confession. I was so jealous of everyone in the square dancing group. Nick was working 100 hours a week at that time and would not consider going dancing in his spare time. I would have traded places with you. Patsy

cecily crossman said...

How do you feel about clogging?

Sandy said...

Come on, Sheri, you know you had lots of fun at those square dances.

To Patsy, we did have fun, but it would have been a lot more fun if you and Nick could have joined us.

janis said...

I am still laughing! I got to go square dancing a couple of times. I think I went with Tammy Bayliff, you always brought Greg. I was REALLY bad at it!
He does still have that smile. I saw him & Jeanne last year. They were both so happy, smiling the whole time.